Last Friday night we attended the first home game of the season for the Wildcats. It wasn't a very eventful game - ended in a tie. During halftime they held a special dedication of the new scoreboard - in honor of my dad. It was so perfect to have our dear friend Shelby (who is the new AD this year) say a few words about my parents, and introduce my mom.
This was my mom's first time back to the field without my dad. Earlier in the day we joked about driving my dad's high top van to the game, and parking on the field...behind the endzone....where my dad always was! Shelby had placed a long team bench behind the endzone for us to hang out on. It was perfect.
The dedication was simple and sweet. The band was behind us, and the team was gathered right in front of us. My mom put a lot of thought into what she wanted to say, as she always does. I asked her if she was going to talk about all the memories we have had on that football field. She smiled and shook her head, "That would be too hard!"
When we got home, my mom asked me what I thought about what she'd said. I didn't really 'hear 'what she had said. My mind was thinking about all those memories.......Being little and coming to the games with my mom and my brother - we'd sit in the stands and mom brought hot cocoa in an airpot. We'd go to the Cattolicos' after every game and I'd listen to the coaches re-hash every play. When I was older, I brought friends to the games (usually Karen) and we'd stand on the sidelines thinking we were so cool because we had 'field passes.'
All those years...my dad went from assistant coach, to head coach, to a wheelchair, to my mom needing to be with my dad on the field, to a golf cart on the field, to helping coach junior varsity, to being relegated to watching/coaching in his chair from his van (on the extended lift.)
And there I stood on the field.....with my mom.......and my husband..... and my kids....and all those memories.....
.....but without my dad.
.....but without my dad.
It is hard for me. I can't begin to imagine how incredibly hard it is for my mom.
My mom is amazing. As was my dad.
This link will take you to some photos that were taken that night.
http://www.lghssports.com/concealed/wedemeyer/13921213_R7YBH#1021905964_oZRfM.
Go Wildcats!

No comments:
Post a Comment