Saturday, May 28, 2011

Left over pancakes

These days, as the children are growing and eating more, I try to cook in big batches. For years I tried to make ‘healthier’ pancakes using the likes of buckwheat and various other flours -  and my family sadly and obediently ate the thin little cardboard disks.....yet never asked for more.

We finally found a pancake recipe that the whole family enjoys, and I make a whole lot of them.  (I am currently using kamut flour.)

This week we had yummy blueberry pancakes.  And a couple of days later, we re-heated the left overs and had them again.  And then today – another couple of days later – I am still looking at a whole lot of pancakes left!  So I put a twist on our Baked French Toast recipe, and our new concoction was a hit!  You can also do this with left over oatmeal.


 
PANCAKE BAKE



Left over pancakes (Cut into small pieces)
1  1/2 cups of milk (today we used cream & coconut milk for a total  2 cups)
4 eggs  (I used 8 – ours were smallish)
1/3 cup of honey
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Grease 9x13 pan with real butter.  Mix liquid ingredients and spices.  Put a layer of bread in, then pour a little of wet mixture over.  Keep doing layers.  For variety add apple slices or cream cheese).

Refrigerate overnight (I NEVER remember to do this! I let it sit for 20 - 30 min or so – then throw it in oven)  Bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.  (We did 50 min today)  Serve with real maple syrup.
 

No comments: