Normally, I stay up quite late on Christmas Eve wrapping presents for the kids. This year was a bit challenging. Our master bedroom is in what is normally the living room. It is a thoroughfare, and has no closet space (no place to put shoes or hang clothes, let alone hide presents!) So I had to put the presents for 6 kids in bins out in the garage. Out in the garage is also where gift bags and tissue paper etc are stored. Sounds easy enough.
Except that we recently unloaded our storage rental, which held 80% of our things since we sold our house. Everything from storage went into the garage. It is pretty treacherous out there.
By the time we got home from Christmas Eve evening service, I was exhausted (six months pregnant.) I could not fathom making my way around and over things in the garage to get to what I needed. It would’ve meant many trips in and out of the garage, and I was just too tired.
Normally, I would’ve pushed myself over the edge to get this done, but we had dealt with some serious attitude issues in the little people, so I wasn’t really motivated. I just went to bed.
In the morning, there were some confused children. We didn’t get up to greet them at the crack of dawn, but did hear them come down, and understood later that they were a bit stunned to find nothing under the tree, and so, went back to bed.
We made a wonderful Christmas breakfast, and Keith and I pretty much acted like, ‘What presents?’ all day. We attended Christmas Day service, and later Keith occupied the kids so that I could haul everything into the house and finish wrapping. (When I say hauled ‘everything,’ don’t get the idea that our kids got a ton of presents. They didn’t. But I could only carry so much on each trip – navigating the obstacle course in the garage - and had to rest after each attempt! It took forever.)
We finally gathered together in the late afternoon and had a heart to heart chat about attitudes, being grateful for what we have, and most importantly – what God had done for us through his son Jesus Christ. That alone is enough to be grateful for – for a lifetime!
And then they opened presents : )
![]() |
| Kaleo made this cute bag for Kili |
![]() |
| Kaleo made these great hats for her 3 brothers |
| Kainoa made her brother straw swords |
![]() |
| One of Kawika's favorite gifts - a football! |
![]() | |||
| Kainoa made Kili a cute sock doll |
| Kiddos made ornaments for the grandparents |
| Koa, better known as Sleeping Beauty, got a helpful gift from Nani |
| A beautiful music box from Auntie Judy |
We were so happy that Tutu was able to join us for dinner. It was such a blessing to gather together for a special meal – four generations!
We are grateful to the Lord for each day. Grateful for each other. Grateful mostly for God’s mercy and grace towards us, and that through His son we have been saved.
![]() |
| Kiddos |
![]() |
| Kiddos with Nani |
God shows his love for us in that
while we were still sinners,
Christ died for us.
Since, therefore, we have now been
justified by his blood,
much more shall we be saved by him
Christ died for us.
Since, therefore, we have now been
justified by his blood,
much more shall we be saved by him
from the wrath of God.
For if while we were enemies
For if while we were enemies
we were reconciled to God
by the death of his Son,
much more,
now that we are reconciled,
shall we be saved by his life.
much more,
now that we are reconciled,
shall we be saved by his life.
Romans 5: 8- 10









No comments:
Post a Comment