It was hard to fathom having my dad’s memorial service at HP Pavilion... aka the San Jose Arena... aka the Shark Tank. The thought of it was overwhelming for me in so many ways. Since I was putting this event together, I had to look at it from a production stand point...and I was totally overwhelmed.
We planned to have the service at church. How would we make the huge Shark Tank intimate? How could we create an atmosphere that was warm and personal? And how could we do it in a week!?!?!?
| Jumbo tron outside the HP Pavilion |
I was so afraid the Pavilion staff would say to me, “Okay, we will unlock the doors for you, and then you’re on your own. Good luck.”
Well, thank the Lord, that scenario couldn’t have been further from what happened. Mr. Jamison, Mr. Hamnett, and the HP Pavilion staff blew us away. I cried through our first meeting. They made their team available to us and provided us with everything we could’ve hoped for.
Then, I called on my ‘A team.’ Boy, I have the most amazing friends....
Saturday June 19, 2010 11:00am
Saturday June 19, 2010 11:00am
Our friend, Craig, had an awesome idea to include former and current football players in the service.
The HP Pavilion has two entrances, and Craig lined up the players outside the doors – flanking both entrances.
When we arrived we drove by both entrances and it was really special to see all the players lined up.
| People begin to enter the Pavilion |
On arriving, we gathered in the green room to worship and pray before the service.
| Mom with Brent, Coach Cattolico, and Judy |
| With my brother, Kale, and my niece, Noe |
| Coach Mariucci greets Craig |
| The amazing vocalists and musicians who came to help me |
| Tim Abbott, Annabel Blanchard, Karyn Harline, Diane & Bill Allison, Jeanie Nuia, Mark Kenoly |
Amy is the director of Family & Kids/ Early Childhood at our church. She contacted me early on with specific ways that they could help our family. We were deeply grateful for this gesture. The support from our church was invaluable. They didn't say 'call us if you need anything.' They said, 'Here are some specific areas we can help with.' One of those areas was with our kiddos. On this day, Amy showed up early to the house to help with the little ones.
Our dear friend, Suzanne, flew in from Hawaii.
| Kale and Noe (18m) |
| Mom with Kili (3) |
| Ti leaf leis made by the lovely ladies from New Hope Church in Hawaii who flew in to dance at the service |
| Michael Nouri |
| Pastor Mike Kiley leads us in prayer |
| Kale and Coach Mariucci |
| The Andrys |
As you go through these photos you will see the dark circles under my eyes. I hadn't slept in 2 weeks. Every moment was spent pulling all the details together for this service. I didn't have time to think about other things, like what we were all going to wear. Friends just showed up to help...and they were an incredible help.
Thank you to Auntie Judy who provided all of the wonderful matching Hawaiian outfits for our children (among many many other clothes, gifts and goodies she brought.) And thank you to Nadine who provided shoes for all of our children! This is an example of how friends appeared and helped us in so many ways we couldn't have imagined.
I'll do a separate post just on all the ways people were there for us. It may help you in figuring out how to be there for others when they are in a similar situation. I know it will help us to be able to be a blessing to others in the future.
Thank you to Auntie Judy who provided all of the wonderful matching Hawaiian outfits for our children (among many many other clothes, gifts and goodies she brought.) And thank you to Nadine who provided shoes for all of our children! This is an example of how friends appeared and helped us in so many ways we couldn't have imagined.
I'll do a separate post just on all the ways people were there for us. It may help you in figuring out how to be there for others when they are in a similar situation. I know it will help us to be able to be a blessing to others in the future.
Many have contacted us asking for a copy of the Memorial service. We don’t know what we are going to do about that yet. I don’t know if we will make physical copies available, or if we will just post it online. Will keep you posted...

No comments:
Post a Comment