Sunday, October 16, 2011

School is in full swing

As the summer was coming to an end, I found I was bracing myself.  Knowing what lay ahead for me this year, I was working very hard at not being overwhelmed.


Kili and Kapena






















Two of our little ones will officially begin schooling this year.  Kili is 4 and Kapena is 5.  We told them they are both entering Kindergarten this year.  Hopefully schooling them together will make it a little easier for me.  Koa is in 3rd grade, Kainoa is in 5th, and Kaleo is a junior in high school!  

(I had to think about that, actually, because here at home we don’t refer to what grade they are in, so I can never remember. It is usually ‘what book are you in?’ or ‘what level are you working on?’  They are often in different levels for different subjects.)  

I am not a fan of leaving the house.  Many people think homeschoolers are so sheltered...being at home all day.

That’s so funny because the truth is, there are so many co-ops... and classes... and activities... and field trips....the challenge, is to actually stay home! 

And so, you learn that you can’t do everything.  I don’t like having a hectic schedule. I have been pretty good about protecting ours.  For the first time ever, though, I am leaving the home 4 days a week.  I never dreamed that would be the case.  I like to stay home!  

Both older girls have ‘outside the home’ commitments this year - more than ever before.  Each situation and opportunity was carefully and prayerfully weighed by Keith and I.  We had to say ‘no’ to some good things.  Especially knowing that our latest addition will be arriving in the spring, and I’m not much good to anyone during the last few months of my pregnancies.

Here’s why we’re are leaving the house on those 4 days:


    • Tae Kwon Do – The beauty of this is that I was able to put everyone in one class!  I am not running 6 different directions so that everyone can have their own sports activity.  The older ones have earned their way into the more advanced class, but it takes place immediately following the beginner class, so I’m already there.  We also feel that martial arts teaches them a skill that will be beneficial for a lifetime.  Extra plus – this is a Christian studio, and there is a price break for additional kids.

    • Co-op classes – both older girls have classes that take place at the home of a friend.  She does an excellent job leading small classes in Marine Biology and CA History.

      • This is for me!  I attend a women’s bible study at a local church.  What is so great about this situation is that they offer a science class for homeschoolers.  So while I am having my time to study God’s Word with other women, and to be filled - I have 2 kiddos in Zoology this year.  The little ones have their own little class, where our oldest volunteers. 

        • Our last day of the week is the busiest.  My 5th grader is in a morning co-op that I must attend.  Then she eats lunch in the car as we pick up my oldest and race over to another co-op where both girls take once a week classes.  My 5th grader is out first, and from there she goes to a (once a month) nearby science book club.  My oldest is out at 4pm, but helps clean up the classroom and is out by 4:30.  I usually have all the little ones with me and we are fitting in eating lunch  and running errands in between the older girls classes.  There is also a monthly park day with our homeschool group that we fit in.  This is the only crazy day like this.
       
      I have had to take just a day or two at a time.  For some reason our lives - apart from academics -  always seem to be soooooo full – there is always something going on...and this year is no exception.  And so... all that gets mixed in with trying to get some school work done.   What has helped me immensely is being saturated with the Word of God.


       “I don’t know how you do it!  You have six kids....and you homeschool?!?!?!”

      I hear this all the time...from well meaning people...shaking their heads, and smiling.

      “I could never do that.  I wouldn’t have the patience!”

      Well......neither do I!

      Nor do I have the energy....

      or the bandwidth....

      or the organizational discipline required.  And because of my frailty (being human), I could be a basket case everyday.

      (I have often thought about tallying how many times a day I have more than 3 people talking to me... all at the same time...which is better, I guess, than the times I have 2 or more children crying.... all at the same time.)

      I have come to the end of myself many times, and am always reminded.....His strength is perfect.  I can't do this in my own strength.  It is only through Christ that we can do anything worth doing.

      I have learned to move more slowly, more deliberately.  I can’t get to everything...that is a fact of life.  It can be frustrating...but I’m okay with that now. 

      I finally started canning last year, but I have yet to make my own yogurt (which we eat by the truckload).  Homemade bone broth is a staple in our home, but I have yet to make my own sauerkraut.  One day laundry was so easy – I did a load every morning, then... suddenly it seemed to multiply and turned into this never ending, ever growing pile.  We planted our first vegetable garden last year – and it was fabulous, but I petered out towards the end, unable  to ’care’ for it as it deserved to be cared for ...and unable to continue on with a winter garden (okay, frankly, I am getting too large to maneuver in between the raised beds!)

      I have lots of fabulous daily schedules and charts I have made over the years, but we never stick to one for long. 

      Often the boys should be doing their lessons, but they have built an awesome fort – or caught somekind of creature – or are playing peaceably all together...and I just watch....unable to disturb those beautiful moments.  



      Latest creature find

      Baby gopher (middle, by the grass tuft)

      Always fascinated


























































      Often the girls should be doing their lessons or chores....but they are baking up a storm, laughing in the kitchen, and riveted to an audio drama, intent on making goodies for the neighbors.....and I listen....and I let them continue to have that precious time.

      So....we tend to get behind in a lot of things.  

      But I’ve decided they are not the most important things.






      The most important things are...





       that we love the Lord our God with all our heart and with all our soul and with all our might... 






       and that we glorify God, 
      and enjoy Him forever...



      No comments: